March 17, 2021
Interstate Commission for EMS Personnel Practice
- The interstate EMS Compact facilitates the day to day movement of EMS personnel across state boundaries in the performance of their EMS duties as assigned by an appropriate authority, and authorizes state EMS offices to afford immediate legal recognition to EMS personnel licensed in any other member state.
- The EMS Compact extends to individuals a privilege to practice in other member states under authorized circumstances for EMS personnel based on their home state EMS license. The EMS Compact also allows for the rapid exchange of licensure history between Compact member states and provides a mechanism for an expedited pathway for state EMS licensure for veterans and their spouses.
What professions are included?
- The EMS personnel must be licensed as an EMT, Paramedic, or a level between EMT and Paramedic (like Advanced-EMT) in at least one Compact member state. The EMS personnel must practice under the supervision of a medical director.
- As of January 1, 2021 there are 20 in the EMS Compact
Regulatory body for the occupation
- The interstate compact is managed by a joint-public agency – the Interstate Commission for EMS Personnel Practice. The EMS Compact is governed by Commissioners appointed to the Interstate Commission for EMS Personnel Practice by member states.
Compact status: Live
Compact contact information